Skip to Content
Agencies | Governor
Search Virginia.Gov


Animal Health and Emergency Services
Equine Interstate Event Permit

Photo of girl jumping a horse.Effective immediately, Virginia now offers to horse owners the option of obtaining an Equine Interstate Event Permit (EIEP) allowing southeastern interstate travel for six months in lieu of multiple 30 day health certificates. The permit is recognized by the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and West Virginia. We have recently been notified that New York will also begin to accept such a permit; if horse owners are planning to travel there with the EIEP, it is recommended at this time that they should contact New York in advance to confirm that their permit will be accepted.

Horse owners interested in obtaining an EIEP will need to see their normal large animal veterinarian in order to submit the application. Instructions for the veterinarian and horse owner may be found here. Horse owners will need to have a current Coggins certificate, get a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (health papers), and complete an application before an EIEP will be issued. In addition, horse owners will need to be instructed by their veterinarian in obtaining a temperature and briefly evaluating their horse for signs of illness, and sign a statement on the application attesting to their ability. Temperatures and physical exam findings must be recorded on a travel itinerary. Horses will need to be identified by either a microchip or by a set of 3 current digital photographs submitted to our office. A processing fee will be charged to the veterinarian.

A permit may either be issued by our office, or by Global Vet Link for those veterinarians who elect to utilize that service. If the permit is to be issued by our office, the photographs (or a copy of the valid digital Coggins which contains 3 photos) should be emailed by the examining veterinarian. If you are planning to import horses into Virginia please refer to our Virginia importation regulations for horses here.

The application, CVI, and a copy of the digital Coggins or photos if utilized for identification should be submitted to the Office of Veterinary Services at 102 Governor Street, Richmond, VA 23219. All documents may be emailed, and if digital photos or a digital Coggins are used as the method of identification, they should be sent with explanation to

Copyright © 2015, Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. For Comments or Questions Concerning this Web Site, contact the VDACS Webmaster. WAI Level A Compliant
Web Policy | Contact Us