How do I become a commercial pesticide applicator?
To become a commercial pesticide applicator you must demonstrate that you are experienced and trained in pesticide use. You must be certified in the category or categories appropriate to the type of pesticide application you wish to use or supervise.
There are two ways that you can become a commercial pesticide applicator in Virginia:
1. Apply for examination by submitting an application for examination and a non-refundable $70.00 fee. The certification fee is waived for federal, state and local government employees. You will be permitted to take the examination if you can demonstrate qualifications by:
- Having been a valid VA Registered Technician for at least one year; or
- Providing the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS) with proof of sufficient education, training or experience in pesticide use.
2. Hold a valid commercial applicator certificate from another state and submit:
- a copy of that certificate [with category description(s)];
- a Virginia reciprocal certification application;
- a power of attorney form; and
- a nonrefundable $70.00 certification fee.
You may obtain these forms from VDACS / Office of Pesticide Services/Certification, Licensing and Registration Section. VDACS grants reciprocal certification when categories and training requirements are comparable between the two states.
The exam process
Maintaining your certificate
Commercial Application A (PDF format)
Commercial Application B (PDF format)
Categories for Commercial Applicator Certification (PDF format)