How do I become a certified private applicator?
- Contact your Virginia Cooperative Extension (VCE) agent for training materials.
- There are two ways to take the Private Applicator Examination:
1. Take the written Examination at your VCE office. Your exam will be graded by the Office of Pesticide Services, and if you pass, you will be mailed a certificate.
2. Apply to the Office of Pesticide Services to take the Exam on a touch-screen computer at your local DMV Customer Service Center. OPS will send you a notice of authorization to take the exam at DMV. There is no fee for the Private Applicator Exam. If you pass, you will receive a certificate good for seven days. OPS will mail your official certificate within one week.
- Maintain your certification by attending classes in your categories every two years. See your Extension Agent for information on classes.
- If you maintain your certification, a new certificate will be mailed to you every two years.
90 - Food, Fiber, Forestry Products and Commodity Production
- includes the production of agricultural crops, livestock, and forestry products
- includes the use of fumigants, and chemigation applications for these products
- includes the use of pesticides to control vertebrate pests of livestock
91 - Ornamental Production
- includes the production of ornamental trees, shrubs, plants, and flowers
- includes all ornamental production sites (field, nursery, greenhouse)
- includes all application methods (including chemigation and fumigation)